Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The mother of the muse

 I'm don't consider myself too much of a nostalgic person.
I don't mourn the slow disappearance of the last golden summer, or regret that the beautiful experiences of years past have passed me by, but look forward to the future .  At the same time, I have very lucid visual memories. They often "surprise" me at unexpected times when my head is clear of worry, when a smell, a certain type of light, a touch or a texture reminds me of something I have experienced before. 
I often wonder how memory works, to what extent it is faithful to actual experience and how we may actually subconciously manipulate it. Memory is a strange thing. But off all the things it can do, solve a crime, brighten or darken one's day, send you into mental anguish, I think that one of the most beautiful things it can do is inspire. 


The Ancient Greeks devoted an entire history to the inspirational aspect of memory. 
After purportedly sleeping 9 nights with Zeus, Mnemosyne, daughter of Gaia (Earth) and Uranus (Sky), and titaness of memory, gave birth to the nine muses: Calliope (Epic Poetry), Clio (History), Erato (Love Poetry), Euterpe (Music), Melpomene (Tragedy), Polyhymnia (Hymns), Terpsichore (Dance), Thalia (Comedy) and Urania (Astronomy).


Coinciding with the launch of her scent DAPHNE created in collaboration with Comme des Garçons, Daphne Guinness' short fashion-focused film 'Mnemosyne' takes its name and inspiration from memory. Created with co-Director David Parker, the film captivates, haunts and entrances us with 'phantasmagoric swirls', luminous colour and a mythological, dreamlike feel set to ambient music. It does not feature logos or any product placement, but stays in the memory and will hopefully arouse the curiosity of potential customers. 





Inspirational.. yes. 
You can vote for Daphne's film and view many more films online at the Webby awards website. 



Information obtained from showstudio.com and little look at a wiki. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

:)